MARCH 4-14 2017
RAJA AMPAT, INDONESIA
$300,000 for 8 travelers
4 private suites, double occupancy
Approximately 50% of trip cost is tax-deductible
All ages & snorkel-abilities welcome
RESERVE YOUR PLACE
212 627 1950
1. Be Part of an Exclusive Underwater Conservation Expedition | Raja Ampat, Indonesia | March 4—14 2017
If you want to see something that will totally transform your perspective, go on this trip. Perfect for families and small groups, this is a rare opportunity to join a marine-conservation sailing expedition only a handful of people will ever have the chance to experience. You’ll sail in a 5-star hand-crafted traditional Indonesian wooden yacht through some of the richest and most pristine uninhabited islands on our planet. Your host will be Patti Seery, the founder and owner of Silolona Sojourns, and your guides will be two of the world’s foremost marine conservationists, Shawn Heinrichs and Sarah Lewis. They will lead you to underwater landscapes and hidden havens they’ve spent years studying.
You’ll see manta rays dancing beside you, sharks circling in the warmth of shallow pools, and kaleidoscopic schools of fish shape shifting and zipping through vibrant coral tunnels. You’ll enter secluded coves where whales, dolphins, sharks, turtles, and manta rays seek sanctuary. You’ll explore deserted bays and beaches, thriving coral reefs with 70% of the world’s coral species and 1,200 different types of fish, hidden caves and freshwater rivers. Back on board at night, you’ll learn how your discoveries and explorations complement their behind-the-scenes conservation and what happens next to protect these underwater havens.
Approximately 50% of your trip cost will be donated to Blue Sphere Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded by Shawn, dedicated to safeguarding the planet’s oceans. By joining this journey you’re helping protect these natural havens at risk for pollution, development, and hunting.
• Approximately 50% of your trip cost will be donated to Blue Sphere Foundation.
• Founded by Shawn, Blue Sphere Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to safeguarding the planet’s oceans.
• All ages and all levels of snorkelers and divers welcome.
• You don’t need to be dive certified to go! Many of the most treasured experiences will be from the boat, on kayaks, and snorkeling.
• Shawn, a National Geographic Voices-featured photographer, will capture your experience.
2. MEET YOUR GUIDES
If you saw the Discovery Channel’s Racing Extinction documentary last year, then you know Shawn. The film features his award-winning findings centered around marine conservation and prevention of pressing species extinction. He is also the founder of Blue Sphere Foundation. He created Blue Sphere Foundation to further the cause of safeguarding the planet’s oceans. Shawn’s captivating research, cinematography, and photography have been featured by National Geographic Voices, BBC, and The New York Times. The awe-inspiring images from these publications will come to life as you join Shawn on this conservation expedition.
Sarah Lewis pioneered manta research in Raja Ampat. In partnership with a coalition of NGOs, government and local resorts, she has spent countless hours and gathered invaluable local knowledge in an attempt to unravel the mysteries of Raja Ampat’s manta rays since 2011. As the research head for the Lamakera community transition project (featured in Racing Extinction), she uses her findings to transform one of the world’s biggest fishers of manta rays into one of their biggest protectors. You’ll see firsthand exactly what’s at stake and understand what it takes to protect these creatures.
3. WHERE YOU’LL GO & WHAT YOU’LL SEE
A chain of islands known for its labyrinth of turquoise lagoons. The lagoons are protected by limestone formations which create the perfect habitat for marine creatures including harmless juvenile reef sharks and baby manta rays. What you’ll experience:
• Snorkel with juvenile reef sharks and baby manta rays.
• Wander the untouched white sand beaches.
• Explore the islands’ subterranean world through caves.
• Go sea kayaking which and have a beach-side lunch in a surprise locale.
The Dampier Strait
A large water passage between the islands of Gam, Waigeo, and Batanta. Tidal currents flush nutrient-rich waters through the passage which support a dazzling array of marine life and some of the world’s best diving reefs. What you’ll experience:
• See manta rays being gleaned by cleaner fish who pluck parasites from their bodies.
• You’ll drop into trains of feeding manta rays.
• Snorkel through blue water mangroves which are used as natural nurseries by marine life.
Shawn was a founding member of the team that spearheaded conservation efforts in the Misool area over a decade ago. Since, Misool has become the largest no-take zone in south Raja Ampat. This area is known as the epicenter of global marine biodiversity. What you’ll experience:
• Dive in some of greatest reef sites including Boo Windows, Fiabacet, and Magic Mountain.
• You’ll see swarming fusiliers that spin audibly above pursued by giant trevallies, packs of Bluefin and Spanish mackerel, hundreds of batfish and bannerfish, grey reef sharks, blacktip and whitetip sharks, and wobbegongs on the ocean floor waiting to ambush smaller fish.
• Go on an island visit to the renowned Misool Eco Resort. This is the center of the area’s conservation efforts. Snorkel with baby black tip reef sharks right off the jetty.
4. YOUR TRIP HELPS SAVE OUR OCEANS
After gliding through the water beside gentle manta rays whose wingspans more than triple yours, you’ll find yourself impassioned by what their world is like now and in the future. Being there is the most important first step toward protecting them.
Approximately 50% of your trip cost will help fund the Blue Sphere Foundation’s projects to help keep our global marine environment healthy. Being there means you’ll see firsthand the work your support makes possible.
5. CALL A LUXURY TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN SAILBOAT HOME FOR THE ADVENTURE
Your base for ten days will be the MSV Silolona, which has the reputation as the best traditional liveaboard yacht in all of Southeast Asia, with a world-class crew to match. The Silolana is a traditional wooden Indonesian sailboat called a phinisi, and the schooner was designed in keeping with an authentic spice island sailing vessel but equipped with all the modern amenities and safety features of a luxury charter yacht. When you’re not exploring off the boat, you’ll enjoy multi-course gourmet meals, spa treatments, massage, yoga, or relax in your tastefully-appointed suite.
About the MSV Silolona
• Sleeps 8 guests: 3 king suites with extra day bed, 1 queen suite
• 16-person professional crew, plus 1 expedition leader
• Fully equipped & licensed PADI Dive Center with 3 full-size tenders & a fully certified PADI Instructor
• Equipped for recreational watersports including kayaking, windsurfing, diving and snorkeling
• Spa treatments available including yoga, hot stone therapy, deep tissue and Shambhala massage.
6. HOW TO RESERVE YOUR PLACE ON THIS EXCLUSIVE JOURNEY
Charter dates: March 4—14 2017
Who can go: All ages welcome! Buyout only (cabins are not sold on individual basis)
Complete buyout: $300,000 for 8 travelers (4 private suites, double occupancy)
Tax-deductible: Approximately 50% of your trip cost is tax-deductible.
Contact: Absolute Travel 212 627 1950, Eliza Quanbeck EQuanbeck@absolutetravel.com